Director of the Kunsthistorisches Institute,
Max Planck Institute, Florence
Born May 15, 1954 in Milan, he dedicated his study to Art and Philosophy with a specialty in Art History at the Università degli Studi di Milano. In 1982, he earned his doctorate at the Courtauld Institut of Art (London) with a thesis on the artistic patronage of Pope Julius III. In 1986, he earned his research doctorate from the Università degli Studi di Milano. His studies in 1986-1987 were sponsored by the J. Paul Getty Postdoctoral Fellowship. From 1988 to 1994 he was an Assistent Professor at Stanford University (California, USA). In 1994, he was named professor of Art History of the Renaissance at the Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main. From 2006 to 2007 he was the managing director of the research center on the modern age at Frankfurt (ZFN, Renaissance Institut). In July of 2006, he was named Honorary Professor of the Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main. Currently. he is the director of the Kunsthistorisches Institut at the Max Planck Institute in Florence, a post he has held since October 2006.
He has been a member of scientific committees including the Consiglio Scientifico del Centro del Palazzo Te, Mantua (2007-2010) and the Courtauld Institute Research Forum Advisory Board of London (2008-2011). Currently, he is on the Malvasia Advisory Board of the Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts (CASVA, since 2008), the Comitato Consultivo Internazionale per la Realizzazione dei Nuovi Archivi del Futurismo (since 2009), on the Conseil Scientifique de l’École Pratique des Hautes Etudes de París (since 2010), on the Consiglio Scientifico del Centro Internazionale di Studi di Architettura “Andrea Palladio” (since 2011), and a member of the editorial team of Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft Fachkollegium (since 2012).
He is also part of various scientific committees of distinctive publications: the collection Théorie de l’Art/Art Theory, 1400-1800; NTM-Zeitschrift für Geschichte der Wissenschaften, Technik und Medizin; of Journeys. The International Journal of Travel & Travel Writing; the Rivista d’arte. Periodico internazionale di arte medievale e moderna; of the Max Planck Research Library for the History and Development of Knowledge, and lastly, of Acta-Artis. Estudis d’Art Modern.
He is distinguished by the honors of Grande Ufficiale all’ordine del merito della Repubblica Italiana since 2005 and of Honorarprofessor from the Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität in Frankfurt since 2006, and he is a member of honor of the Accademia delle Arti del Disegno of Florence desde 2008.
He is the solo autor of, among other publications, Michelangelo, architetto (Milán: Jaca Book, 1984), The artistic patronage of Pope Julius III (1550-1555): profane imagery and buildings for the De Monte family in Rome (Nueva York: Garland, 1988); Girolamo Romanino (Turín: Umberto Allemandi, 1994); Parmigianino: zitat, portrat, mythos (Perugia: Guerra, 2006); and Il libro del vento: rappresentare l’invisibile (Génova: Marietti, 2007; English edition, McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2011). He is the coautor or coeditor of the following publications: with Cornelia Jöchner, Piazza e monumento: Eine kunstwissenschaftliche Datenbank (Berlín-Munich: Deutscher Kunstverlag, 2012); with Marzia Faietti and Lorenza Melli, Le tecniche del disegno rinascimentale: dai materiali allo stile, actes del congrés (Florencia: Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz, 2008); with Elena Fumagalli and Massimiliano Rossi, Firenze milleseicentoquaranta: arti, lettere, musica, scienza (Venice: Marseille, 2010); with Domenico Laurenza, Leonardo da Vinci’s Anatomical World. Language, Context and “Disegno”, actas del congreso (Venice, 2011); with Joseph Connors, Beatrice Paolozzi Strozzi, and Gerhard Wolf, Desiderio da Settignano, actas del congreso (Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz. Venice, 2011), and with Golo Maurer, Michelangelo e il linguaggio dei disegni di architettura (Venice. Marseille, 2012).